Greetings Fashion Families from your Principal, Daryl Blank. Please make sure you continue to check out The Fashionable Times Blog where we will include all the important information you need as Fashion parents. The website link is: http://hsfifashionabletimes.blogspot.com/
It is important for you to know that the first marking period of the Spring term is on Tuesday, March 1. Report cards will be distributed next week before Parent-Teacher Conferences that will take place next Thursday and Friday, March 10 and 11. The night conferences are from 5:30 pm – 8 pm on Thursday, March 10. The afternoon conferences are from 1 pm – 3 pm on Friday, March 11.
This week on Wednesday, March 2 we will be administering for free the SAT to all 11th graders and PSAT to all 12th graders. HSFI is one of the select schools in NYC that is offering this free administration of the SAT. A large majority of our 9th graders will be on college trips and our seniors will be in the auditorium for a special presentation.
As you all know, the main goal of the High School of Fashion Industries is to prepare our students for life after HSFI. We have identified that one of the main problems in our school are students coming late on a regular basis. We know that ‘NYC Happens’ and students will occasionally come late due to mass transit issues. Unfortunately, we have a large number of students that consistently come late to school. This lateness results in students missing important instructional time that can result in low grades, failing grades and/or poor exam results. If this lateness continues later on in life, our students will be fired from their jobs. We are going to be instituting a plan that will hopefully result in students coming on time to their classes.
Here are the key parts of this lateness plan:
● Late students will sit in the auditorium for the duration of the class period that they are late to under the supervision of a HSFI staff member
● Guidance counselors will be providing immediate phone notification to all parents / guardians of the students held in the auditorium that are consistently late
● This plan will take place randomly on 1-2 school days during a given school week
● This plan will take place during periods 1 and 2 only
● For Period 1 – students will be held in the auditorium if they arrive to school after 8:15 am
(8:10 am is the beginning of Period 1 – students will be given these 5 extra minutes to get to class)
● For Period 2 – students will be held in the auditorium if they arrive to school after 9:09 am
(9:04 am is the beginning of Period 2 – students will be given these 5 extra minutes to get to class)
This plan was shared with and approved by HSFI parents at our Parents Association and School Leadership Team meetings that took place this past Wednesday. The plan will be shared with students every day this week during their classes. The official letter to HSFI families is attached below.